I’m going to Florida in March. Since we booked it, I’ve been dreaming of having a cheese jalapeno pretzel. Even though it’s not long until we go, I couldn’t wait any longer! I had to have one!
I scoured around the web and combined recipes. Here’s what I came up with.
220 g white bread flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp yeast
2 tbsp margarine
Grated extra mature cheddar cheese (just grated loads as you can never have too much cheese!)
2 jalapenos washed and diced
160 ml milk
Rock salt to sprinkle over the top
1. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and yeast.
2. Put in the margarine in small bits.
3. Rub the dry ingredients and marge together to make fine breadcrumbs.
4. Add the cheese, jalapenos and milk and stir.
5. Add more flour if too wet.
6. Knead a few times.
7. Divide dough in half and taking one half, roll into a 12×8 inch rectangle.
8. Cut dough lengthways into 8 1 inch strips.
9. Roll out a bit further with the palms of your hands. Then repeat with the other half.
10. Twist into a pretzel shape. Wet the ends with milk to stick to the rest of the pretzel.
11. Leave to rise slightly for 30 minutes.
12. Grease a couple of trays and turn the oven onto gas mark 6.
13. Fill a pan with water and bring to the boil.
14. Taking a pretzel, carefully place it on a large spoon and hold it in the boiling water for 5 seconds.
15. Place on the greased tray and sprinkle over some rock salt.
16. Repeat with the rest and cook for approx 20 minutes or until golden.
Next time I think I’ll brush them with either milk or egg to give them a glossy finish.
The mixture of cheese, jalapenos, salt and bread is amazing!! I know these are going to be a firm favourite in this household! They’ll tide me over until we’re in America 🙂