I went to a party at the weekend and wanted to take some food along. I was thinking and looking on Google for things to make that would be easy and would travel well, as it would take 3 hours to get to the party. Then I came across cheese straws. I’d never made them before but they looked pretty simple, and they wouldn’t melt or anything in the car, so they seemed like a good idea.
I looked at loads of different recipes and adapted them to make my own version.
Ready made puff pastry
Parmesan- about 5/6 large tablespoons
Black pepper- to your taste
Paprika- to your taste
Cayenne pepper- to your taste
1. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6. Put grease proof paper on an oven tray. Roll the puff pastry on a floured surface into a rectangle about 0.5 cm thick
2. Brush all over with the egg white
3. In a bowl, mix grated Parmesan with the pepper, cayenne pepper and paprika
4. Sprinkle over half of the cheese mix and spread over to cover the pastry sheet and gently press down so it sticks to the pastry
5. Turn the pastry over and repeat the above. Cover with egg white and spread the cheese
6. Cut the pastry into strips about 1 cm wide
7. Taking one strip at a time and twist the strip, pressing the ends down gently so it doesn’t unravel
8. Place on the tray and cook for about 15 minutes or until golden brown
9. Cook all the remaining twists
These are SO simple to make yet taste amazing, they went down a storm. Definitely worth a go!
(I’m sorry I forgot to take pictures of the finished product, doh! Just imagine the twists a little golden brown and delish and there you have it!)