I love it when an experiment works! I’d had an idea of trying out mashed sweet potato instead of pastry. I’ve been thinking about it for days…
Here’s how it went.
4 small sweet potatoes
Salt and pepper
300ml double cream
Hard Italian cheese
1. Wash, peel and chop the sweet potatoes. Put in a pan of water and boil until soft.
2. In a cup, mix one of the eggs with salt and pepper and some paprika.
3. When the potatoes are soft, mash together with the egg. Leave to cool.
4. Fry the bacon in pieces until crispy. Then add the onion, peas and pine nuts. Once cooked, leave to one side.
5. Grease a loose bottomed quiche tin with butter. Tip the mash into the tin. Carefully, with the back of a spoon, spread around the tin, covering it all equally and up the sides too.
6. Cook in a pre heated oven on gas 7 for approx 20 minutes or until hard.
7. In a bowl, add the remaining 3 eggs to the cream. Season and crumble in 2/3 of the Stilton. Mix well.
8. Pour the cream mixture in with the bacon and bits.
9. Once the case is hard, pour in the cream mixture carefully.
10. Arrange the asparagus on top of the mixture. Sprinkle over some more pine nuts, the remaining Stilton and some grated hard Italian cheese. Bake in the oven for approx 20 minutes on gas 6 until a knife comes out clean.
Hurrah! It worked! I was so happy (saddo) it was also mega delish served with salad and balsamic vinegar. So much so the husband wants to take leftovers to work.