Woah, that’s a big statement! The World’s best ever garlic bread?! Well maybe not (as I’ve not tried them all!) but my husband says it is and I think it is….so it must be right?!
I came across this recipe on Pinterest, one of my most favourite and the most addictive website ever! (I’m full of the big statements today huh?)
Here’s the website which the photo on Pinterest linked to (which I adapted slightly): http://www.consultantdietitian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=125:garlic-pull-apart-bread&catid=41:breads-muffins-and-biscuits&Itemid=68
As well as the garlic bread, I was making a pizza plait along side it. I doubled the dough recipe from here: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4683/pizza-margherita-in-4-easy-steps
Here’s how I made them-
Garlic bread ingredients:
Half of the dough recipe from the BBC good food link above (remember I doubled it to make the pizza as well, so really it’s one quantity of the dough recipe)
Approx 4 tablespoons butter
1 beaten egg
Lots of grated Parmesan and extra mature cheddar
4 cloves of finely chopped garlic
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1. Make the dough from the above link and knead for 10 minutes. Allow to rise for 1- 1 1/2 hours.
2. After the dough has risen, divide it into two for the pizza and garlic bread and put one aside. Pull off small pieces and roll into balls. Arrange in a lightly buttered dish/tray.
3. Make the garlic butter. In a bowl/jug, put in the butter and mix in the beaten egg, chopped garlic, salt and parsley, and cheeses.
4. Spread the butter mixture all over the dough balls.
5. Cover with cling film and allow to rise again. (I went out to the supermarket for an hour or so and left it to rise) It should double in size (mine filled the dish and was bursting at the seams!)
6. Cook in the oven on gas mark 4 for approx 30 minutes or until its golden brown.
Here it is in all its glory! I will seriously never buy garlic bread again. Truly scrummy.
I made this when the garlic bread was rising.
The other half of the dough
Extra mature cheddar
Half and onion
A little egg to seal the sides
1. Roll the dough out onto a greased baking tray. Lightly with a knife, divide (only marking not cutting) the dough, evenly into three sections. On the outer sides, cut 8 even slits. (you can roll it out better than mine, I was just in a rush to get it ready)
2. In the middle section, spread over BBQ sauce and tomato puree, then add the grated cheese, pepperoni and onions (you can use whatever you want obviously, I was just using what we had in)
3. Lightly brush over beaten egg on the ends of the strips so that they stick together. Then, starting from one end, carefully criss cross the dough sections, taking one from one section and then folding one from the other section over. Repeat until it’s all plaited.
(again not very good as I was in a rush!)
(Hehe it looks like a mouth with teeth!)
4. Wrap the tray loosely in cling film and allow to rise. (The garlic bread and pizza were both left to rise when I went out and then cooked together when I got back)
5. Cook in the oven at gas mark 4 for approx 30 minutes or until golden brown.
I accidentally cooked mine a little too long… it was rather hard but still really yummy.